Calibra Software Engineer, BackendSoftware Engineering | Menlo Park, CA
About CalibraIn June 2019, the Libra Association announced plans for Libra – a new global cryptocurrency that runs on the Libra network. Libra's mission is to create a simple global financial infrastructure that empowers billions of people around the world. It's powered by blockchain technology and the plan is to launch it in 2020.
Calibra is a newly formed Facebook subsidiary whose goal is to provide financial services that will enable people to access and participate in the Libra network. Our first product will be a digital wallet for Libra, a new global currency powered by blockchain technology, and it will be available in 2020 in Messenger, WhatsApp, and as a standalone app. Our vision is to reinvent money and transform the global economy so people everywhere can live better lives. Calibra will let you send Libra to almost anyone with a smartphone, as easily and instantly as you might send a text message or photo, and at low to no cost. And, in time, we plan to offer additional services for people and businesses, such as paying bills with the push of a button, buying a cup of coffee with the scan of a code, or riding your local public transit without needing to carry cash or a metro pass.
We’re still early in the process of developing Calibra, and are looking for talented, passionate, mission-driven people to join our team so we can build a future together that empowers billions of people around the world.
The Calibra engineering team is seeking backend engineers with strong experience developing scalable product infrastructure to support mobile and web applications. The ideal candidate should be comfortable working in a brand new codebase and helping to establish best practices and coding standards. Additionally, previous experience on payment- or finance-related applications or customer onboarding is a bonus.
- Work closely with our product, design, and client teams to define, architect, and build product infrastructure to support Calibra products
- Optimize and scale infrastructure systems to support Facebook-scale user-bases
- Contribute best-in-class programming skills to develop innovative solutions to novel infrastructure challenges
- B.S. or M.S. in Computer Science or 2+ years in software development experience
- 2+ years of object-oriented software development experience
- 2+ years of experience building product infrastructure in Python, PHP, C/C++, Java, or similar language
- Experience with modern data storage and retrieval systems
- Experience with distributed caching systems
- Experience with software build and deployment systems
- Experience with multi-threading and memory management
- Experience partnering with multiple engineering teams to define reusable infrastructure