Data Engineer, Calibra (Blockchain)Data & Analytics | Menlo Park, CA
About CalibraIn June 2019 the Libra Association announced plans for Libra – a new global cryptocurrency that runs on the Libra network. Libra's mission is to create a simple global financial infrastructure that empowers billions of people around the world. It's powered by blockchain technology and the plan is to launch it in 2020.
Calibra is a newly formed Facebook subsidiary whose goal is to provide financial services that will enable people to access and participate in the Libra network. Our first product will be a digital wallet for Libra, a new global currency powered by blockchain technology, and it will be available in 2020 in Messenger, WhatsApp, and as a standalone app. Our vision is to reinvent money and transform the global economy so people everywhere can live better lives. Calibra will let you send Libra to almost anyone with a smartphone, as easily and instantly as you might send a text message or photo, and at low to no cost. And, in time, we plan to offer additional services for people and businesses, such as paying bills with the push of a button, buying a cup of coffee with the scan of a code, or riding your local public transit without needing to carry cash or a metro pass.
We are seeking an experienced Data Engineer to join the Calibra Data Engineering team. Do you like working with data? Do you want to use data to influence product decisions for products leveraging fascinating blockchain technology? Our data engineering team works very closely with Product Managers, Data Scientists, Software Engineers, Economic Researchers, Compliance, and Risk Management to build intuitive, secure products to solve some of the most challenging problems, at a scale that few companies can match. This is technically challenging, will have massive global impact, and you will get to work closely with smart folks on an intellectually challenging initiative.
This position is located in our Menlo Park office.
- Build cross-functional relationships with engineers, product managers, data scientists and other cross- functional partners to understand data needs and deliver on those needs
- Identify all possible use cases and business outcomes for allocated areas of ownership
- Prepare logging specifications and collaborate with engineering teams to instrument logging
- Envision and build a self-serve data platform which teams can use to answer their own questions with data
- Identify, collect and transform real-world user interaction, API's and server events data into scalable/extensible schema models
- Create foundational data capabilities by leveraging your existing data leadership in addition to constantly learning about new technologies
- Design and implement scalable data repositories to integrate qualitative and quantitative research data
- Manage the delivery of high impact dashboards and data visualizations
- Inform, influence, support, and execute our product decisions and product launches
- Along with Product and Engineering teams, use data to solve problems and identify trends, growth levers, and opportunities
- Design, build and launch new data extraction, transformation and loading processes in production
- Work with data infrastructure to triage infrastructure issues and drive to resolution
- BS/BA in Technical Field, Computer Science, Mathematics, or equivalent experience.
- 4+ years experience in the data warehouse space.
- 4+ years experience in custom ETL design, implementation and maintenance.
- 4+ years experience working with either a MapReduce or a MPP system.
- 4+ years experience with schema design and dimensional data modeling.
- 4+ years experience in writing SQL statements.
- Experience in analyzing data to identify deliverables, gaps, and inconsistencies.
- Experience in identifying and communicating data-driven insights.
- Experience in managing and communicating data warehouse plans to internal clients.